On 9 December, 2011 in the National Palace of Culture in Sofia during the jubilee XXX International Book fair were bestowed the Annual awards of “Bulgarian Books” Association for publishing project in 2011.
The awards were bestowed in two categories :
Award for the best publishing project – it is given for books or a book series with original concept or with significant contribution to the Bulgarian culture, and can be also distinguished with good polygraphic realization. For this award all publishers nominate their publications and an expert jury, chooses the winner. Members of the jury include leading specialists from the book-publishing sector and representatives from the professional organizations – Union of the artists, Union of the translators, Union of Bulgarian writers, etc.
The nominations are:
- "Ti me povika zhivot", author Mikhail Belchev, “Damian Iakov” Publishing House
- “Stojno mi, malaj mome”, 327 folk songs from Middle West Bulgaria, author Svetla Tsvetkova, “Tip-top pres” Publishing House
- “Trakijskite sukrovishta i dolinata na trakijskite tsare”, authors Pavlina Ilieva and Nikolaj Genov, “Hermes” Publishing House
- “The Bulgarian Lands in the Medieval Arabic Cartographic Tradition (9th – 14th c.)”, authors Prof. Stoianka Kendarova, Prof. Atanas Stamatov, Dimitur Stoimenov, “Tangra TanNakRa” Publishing House
- “Anini prikazki”, author Stefan Tsanev, “Pro Book” Publishing House
- “Bulgarite i frantsuzite / Les bulgares et les francais”, Collective, “Tangra TanNakRa” Publishing HouseThis year the jury did not award the “Bronze Lion” award in this category, because none of the projects fulfills completely the requirements for contents and form.
Award for publishing project with the biggest social significance– it is for books or series, which examine problems, important for society and have caused a wide social and media interest throughout the year. The jury for this award consists of journalists, who work in the book-publishing sector. They have bestowed three special awards in this category:
- The big award “Bronze Lion” for 2011 for publishing project with biggest social significance was awarded to Trud Publishing House and their “Big Encyclopedia Bulgaria” – a colossal twelve volume work with more than 5000 pages containing the most comprehensive information about Bulgaria - nature, history, economics, science, culture. It is created by a panel of more than 100 experts and scientists from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia University, etc.
- Special award for contribution to the Bulgarian literature and books was given to “Janet-45” Publishing House for “Vselenata na Iajtseto”, by Ivan Teofilov and “Vuzvishenie”, by Milen Ruskov.
- The Special award for contribution to the Bulgarian culture was given to the splendidly prepared and perfectly printed book “Trakijskite sukrovishta i dolinata na trakijskite tsare”, by “Hermes” Publishing House.